Important Reminders from Student Health Services

To: All Students

From: Student Health Services

Subject: Welcome to Fall Quarter: Important Reminders from Student Health Services

Dear Students,

Welcome! The start of a new academic year is always an exciting time. This year is especially exciting since we are fully back to in-person class instruction. Our staff at Student Health Services are looking forward to helping you stay healthy, both mentally and physically, and we’d like to share a few items that might help you in this goal.

Vaccinations: Staying up to date on vaccinations remains the best way to protect yourself against serious complications from COVID-19 and influenza. SHS will be offering the new bivalent COVID-19 vaccine as well as the latest quadrivalent (four component) influenza vaccine to our students. In addition, a limited supply of JYNNEOS vaccine for those at high risk for MPX (Monkeypox) is also available. As always, SHS maintains a supply of the routine mandatory vaccinations as well as vaccines for international travel.

Masking: We have learned over the last few years that masking, especially in indoor spaces or very crowded outdoor events remains an important measure to protect against COVID-19 and has the added benefit of helping prevent the spread of influenza. Free surgical and KN-95 masks are available for pick up at various campus locations.

COVID-19 Testing: As the pandemic has evolved so have campus testing requirements. The campus continues to offer free COVID-19 PCR testing as well as rapid antigen testing, but ongoing asymptomatic testing is no longer required. However, as an important reminder, the university requires rapid antigen testing prior to arrival on campus for all students then a PCR test ASAP within the first week. This is one measure that may prevent the rapid spread of illness.

Medical Advice/Appointments: If you are feeling sick please stay home and do not attend classes or work. SHS has antiviral medications for COVID-19, influenza and MPX that may help lessen your symptoms. Contact our 24/7 nurse advice line for medical questions at 831-459-2591. SHS appointments can be made online via Health e-Messenger or by calling 831-459-2500.

Isolation: This year, if you have COVID-19 symptoms and test positive, please isolate in place. For more information on how to isolate in place and to keep your roommates healthy, please review our isolation guidelines.

Counseling and Psychological Services: The pandemic has been hard! Many of you were impacted by the resulting social, emotional, financial and health impacts. CAPS is here to support you. We are committed to providing timely, culturally appropriate, and effective mental health services to all UCSC students. CAPS has a wide range of services to meet your needs. Check us out at UCSC CAPS. We’re here for you.

Sincerely,

Gary Dunn, Ph.D.

Interim Associate Vice Chancellor, Student Health and Wellness

Elizabeth Miller, D.O.

Medical Director, Student Health Services