Celebrating and observing the Jewish High Holy Days

Date: September 22, 2022

To: All Students

From: Dean of Students

Subject: High Holy Days

Hello everyone.

As we welcome the beginning of the academic year, Jewish members of our community will also be ushering in the Jewish new year as they celebrate and observe the High Holy Days. The High Holy Days take place over the next few weeks and include Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. Rosh Hashanah begins at sundown on Sunday, September 25 and continues through Tuesday, September 27 and Yom Kippur begins at sundown on Tuesday, October 4 and ends at sundown on Wednesday, October 5.

Because the High Holy Days begin so close to the start of a new quarter, it may be challenging for students who observe Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur to figure out how to navigate this with their professors. For those that do observe, I wanted to let you know that all faculty have been emailed about the High Holy Days and have been asked to accommodate students who miss class or need flexibility around assignments.

It is a good practice to let your professors know ahead of time if you are going to miss class and/or if you need an extension on an assignment related to your celebration and observation of the High Holy Days.

Shana tova to all who celebrate.

In community,

Garrett Naiman

Dean of Students