Action Required: Educational Travel Accident Insurance for Students

To: UCSC Faculty and Staff

From: Saladin Sale, Director Risk Services

The University of California has upgraded its Student Off-Campus Travel Accident Insurance coverage to an improved policy with ACE USA. When traveling to participate in off-campus activities sponsored and supervised by University faculty and/or staff (NCAA excluded), registered UC students will be covered worldwide, 24 hours a day, for a wide variety of accidents and incidents while away from campus. The new coverage is broader and more generous and is provided at no cost to the student. However, registered students are now required to register for all out-of-state and out-of-country UC trips to ensure their student off-campus travel accident coverage. The coverage (insurance contract governs) includes:

* Emergency medical evacuation - if you become ill or are injured while 100 or more miles from home, ACE will arrange emergency transportation.

*Accident/Sickness medical expense - $10,000 maximum per occurrence for domestic travel/$100,000 maximum per occurrence for out-of-country travel.

*Security extraction - if you are in a dangerous situation anywhere in the world, ACE can arrange to get you out.

*Travel assistance services - if you need to find a hospital, lose your passport, or need other assistance, you can call ACE and their affiliate, Europ Assistance, for help via their toll free number.

Action Required:

Prior to departure, registered students must complete the UC Business Travel Form at After completing the short online form, you will be able to print your confirmation of coverage with information to use in an emergency while traveling either domestically or abroad. The confirmation will include your name, UC's policy number, your travel dates and 24 hour phone contact number for ACE. You will need to get a new confirmation each time you travel out of state or our of the country*.*

Registration at will ensure coverage for the registered student (and student's eligible travel companion) when traveling to participate in off-campus activities sponsored and supervised by the University. Your registration information will serve to verify eligibility to the insurance company in the event you submit a claim, use any benefit, or request travel assistance services.

Find more information at:

* UC Office of the President Risk Services Website - Student Off-Campus Travel Benefits Summary

* UCSC Risk Services Website - Travel Insurance

If you have further questions after reviewing the sites above, please contact Property & Casualty Coordinator, Jennifer Yeager at 459-5154 or Saladin Sale at 459-3261.