Action Required: Business Travel Accident Insurance for Faculty & Staff

To: UCSC Faculty and Staff

From: Saladin Sale, Director Risk Services

The University of California has upgraded its Business Travel Accident Insurance coverage to an improved policy thru ACE USA. When traveling on official University business, faculty and staff (henceforth, employees) will now be covered worldwide, 24 hours a day, for a wide variety of accidents and incidents. The new coverage is broader and more generous than the previous, and is provided at no cost to the employee. However, employees are now required to register all out-of-state and out-of-country UC business trips to ensure this business travel coverage.

The new coverage (insurance contract governs) includes:

* Emergency medical evacuation and/or medical repatriation - if you become ill or are injured while 100 or miles from home, ACE will

arrange necessary medical transportation.

* Out-of-country medical expenses - if you are outside the United States and become ill or are injured, ACE will cover emergency

medical expenses up to $100, 000 per occurrence ($50 deductible/occurrence).

* Security extraction - if you are in a dangerous situation anywhere in the world, ACE can arrange to get you out.

* Travel assistance services - if you need to find a hospital, lose your passport, or need other assistance, you can call ACE and their affiliate, Europ Assistance, for help via their toll free number.

Action Required:

Prior to departure, you or your travel assistant must complete the UC Business Travel Form at Additional travel insurance information is also available at this site. One short online form can be used to register an individual or a group. After completing the short online form, you will be able to print your confirmation of coverage along with information to use in an emergency while traveling either domestically or abroad. The confirmation includes your name, UC's policy number, your travel dates and the 24 hour phone contact number for ACE. You will need to register and get a new confirmation each time you travel out-of-state or out-of country.

Registration at ensures coverage for you (and your dependent spouse/domestic partner and/or dependent children traveling with you) while traveling on official University business. Your registration information will serve to verify eligibility to the insurance company in the event you need to submit a claim, use any benefit, or request travel assistance services.

Find more information at:

* Risk Services Website - Travel Insurance

*Financial Accounting & Reporting Website - Pre Trip Travel Guide

*Frequently Asked Questions

If you have further questions after reviewing the sites above, please contact Property & Casualty Coordinator, Jennifer Yeager at 459-5154 or Saladin Sale at 459-3261.