A number of acts of vandalism occurred on campus early this morning, including broken windows, damage to UCSC vehicles, and graffiti. No one was injured.
UCSC Police believe the vandalism occurred shortly after midnight. It includes:
• Broken windows at Kresge College's Owl's Nest Cafe.
• Tires slashed and windows damaged on as many as 20 vehicles, including Physical Plant trucks adjacent to the campus's Cogeneration Power Facility and an electric car at Kresge College.
• Damage to construction equipment at Porter College.
• Broken windows at University House.
• Graffiti at several locations, including Porter College residence halls and the Core West Parking Structure.
In addition to these acts of vandalism, a number of "road spikes" were found on Meyer Drive. UCSC Police have inspected campus roads and believe they have found all of these spikes, which are designed to damage tires of moving vehicles. But they are urging members of the UCSC community and public at large to use extra caution while driving through campus.
UCSC Police are also asking for assistance in the identification of the people responsible for these dangerous and damaging acts of vandalism. Detective Steve Garcia can be contacted directly by phoning the UCSC Police Office at 831/459-2231. Reports may also be made anonymously by calling 831/459-3TIP (459-3847) or submitted via the Internet at http://www2.ucsc.edu/police/crime.html.
Thank you for your attention to this matter.