Seeking assistance with Unlawful Entry of Occupied Dwelling

To: UCSC Community

From: Mary Garcia, Interim Chief of Police

The UC Santa Cruz Police Department is seeking the community’s help in the investigation of a crime that occurred early Monday, April 11.
Between approximately 3 and 4 a.m, a man entered an occupied room in a residence hall at College Ten while the occupants were asleep. The man fled when the occupants awoke. No one was injured, and there were no signs of forced entry.
The suspect was described as a white male in his early 20s, approximately 5-foot-7 with a thin build. He was described as having dark brown or black straight hair, shoulder-length, worn in a mullet style, possibly shaved on the sides. He was wearing a neon-green or yellow short-sleeved athletic shirt with black stripes and athletic-style shorts. He was last seen leaving the area on foot while wearing a black surgical-style face mask.
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call the campus dispatch center at 831-459-2231, Ext. 1. Campus community members are urged to report suspicious activity to campus police as soon as possible. Timely reporting can help the department keep the campus safe and assist police in getting information out to members of the campus community, allowing them to take appropriate precautions.
Safety Tips
  • If you feel you or others are in danger, immediately call 911.
  • Report all in-progress crimes, or suspected crimes, by calling 911 from any landline or cell phone. Reports may also be made by utilizing one of the several "blue light," emergency or elevator phones located throughout campus.
  • Suspicious people or activity should also be reported to the UC Santa Cruz Police Department by calling 911 when it is safe to do so.
  • Be alert to your surroundings and trust your instincts. If something or someone makes you uneasy, tell someone, avoid the person or leave the area. 
  • When entering campus buildings that require a key card, especially at night, make sure the door locks behind you.
  • Should you need replacement room keys due to loss or damage, contact your local housing office immediately.  
Campus Resources

UC Santa Cruz strives to provide a safe place for everyone to work and learn.
For students, support services are available through the housing offices at each residential community, through the Cowell Student Health Center including personal counseling through Counseling and Psychological Service, or through a Confidential Victim Advocate at Campus Advocacy, Resources & Education.
For employees, the Employee Assistance Program can provide personal counseling and support.