UC Santa Cruz will host its sixth annual Founders Day gala dinner at Santa Cruz's Cocoanut Grove on Friday, October 12, beginning at 6:30 p.m.
Launched in 2007 to celebrate the spirit of community that resulted in the founding of a University of California campus in Santa Cruz, the event recognizes and honors extraordinary individuals and their outstanding contributions to society.
This year's featured honorees will be:
- Martin Rees, England's Astronomer Royal (UC Santa Cruz Foundation Medal);
- Intel Corporation cofounder Gordon Moore and wife Betty Moore, founders of the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation (UC Santa Cruz Foundation Medal);
- George Ow and Gail Michaelis Ow, renowned community philanthropists (Fiat Lux Award);
- Shannon Brownlee, writer and essayist (Alumni Achievement Award);
- Gail Hershatter, UCSC professor and History Department chair (Faculty Research Lecturer).
Earlier in the day, Rees will be the featured speaker at the annual Foundation Forum. His talk, "A Cosmic Perspective on the 21st Century," will begin at 3 p.m. in the Music Recital Hall on the UCSC campus.
For more information about these and other "founders" activities being planned for the fall and to secure tickets, please go to: