Theater Arts faculty at UC Santa Cruz have received eight nominations for the 2009 Bay Area Theatre Critics Circle Awards.
The 34th annual awards ceremony to celebrate Bay Area theater excellence during 2009 will take place on May 3 at the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco.
"It is exciting to see the research of arts faculty receive such positive recognition by the media," noted David Lee Cuthbert, chair of UCSC's Theater Arts Department.
"The creative work of theater faculty continues to be sought after by theaters across the Bay Area, as well as the rest of the country, and is known for taking the art form in new and exciting directions," he added.
The nominees include:
- Associate professor Patty Gallagher--Principal Performance, Female--Happy Days, California Shakespeare Theater
- Professor Danny Scheie--Principal Performance, Male--You Nero, Berkeley Repertory Theater
- Associate professor and department chair David Lee Cuthbert--Set Design--As You Like It, San Jose Repertory Theatre
- David Lee Cuthbert--Lighting Design--Groundswell, San Jose Repertory Theatre
- David Lee Cuthbert--Lighting Design--The Kite Runner, San Jose Repertory Theatre
- David Lee Cuthbert--Lighting Design--The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, San Jose Repertory Theatre
- Lecturer Mark Rucker, Director--Private Lives, California Shakespeare Theater
- Mark Rucker, Director--She Stoops To Comedy, SF Playhouse.